I've mentioned in other Rommel's Rod threads that I'm using the Dragon Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track as a source for track parts, and I though you guys might like to see pictures of the project as it now stands.
The Dragon kit is exquisite; lovely crisp moldings, an extremely high level of detail, and the tracks are to die for. Each link is two pieces, the steel link and the rubber wear pad. Each link's pivot pin is captured when you glue the next link together; the result is an articulated track. It's really really neat, and puts the old "rubber band" vinyl tracks to shame.
I had to cut up the half-track's chassis pretty severely to fit it under the Rod; I ended up cutting it into sections, shortening it here and there, and adjusting each section up or down so that the wheels were at about the right places; after that was all dry, I cut the chassis in half lengthwise and widened it to match the Rod's track. I ended up eliminating two sets of roadwheels--the final result is the sprocket, four roadwheels, and a rear idler wheel on each side.
So here's a little picture of the chassis and the little bags of track links that come with the Dragon kit:
Post by gfgcollects on Oct 4, 2009 23:26:27 GMT -5
With readily available reissues of this, you guys will be able to really let your imaginations and skill run wild with no inhibitions. And to think it took Revell/Monogram almost 40 years to figure this might be a worthwile project. Great work Steve, looking forward to your updates. ;D
I thought you guys might like to see an update on my Rommel’s Rod project.
So far, I haven’t run out of enthusiasm, and so things are progressing steadily (if slowly). Here’s the chassis, with those lovely Dragon tracks mounted temporarily. The fan belt and fan are parts box items; the muffler is from Monogram’s ’48 Ford pickup. I’ll have to make the forward exhaust pipe, the one that connects to the flex pipes, after the thing is all put together—it’s just too tough getting things pinned down before then.
And here’s the body mounted. I built my own flexible exhaust pipes, since I wanted more detail than the kit’s smooth ones. The other engine compartment accessories are from the parts box again, except I stumbled across a JoHan Mercedes 540K parts kit in my Pile O’Stuff, so the horn and a few other bits are from there. I’m also having fun adding dents and rust-through spots; I plan to make mine pretty tired and worn out.
A couple rear views. The guns and jerrycans are from the 1/24 Hasagawa Kubelwagen kit, which has some really nice detail bits. The post mount for the machine gun is scratched. The left-hand taillight is a resin copy of the Kubelwagen’s convoy light; the right taillight is from the JoHan Mercedes. There are enough spare Dragon tracks to make up the spare sections to hang on the back of the body.
I have an amusing idea for a setting, but haven't really started on that yet. chiefsspeedshop has an inkling, though...
I'm also unsure how to paint it; whether to do it all with airbrush and enamels or to use oils and a brush. I did a little beater pickup a while ago with oils, and it turned out really well; it was easy to get paint shade variations and dirt effects. But the Rod's chassis, especially, has a lot of little recesses, and I dread trying to brush that. Well, I'll figure it out.
Last Edit: Oct 31, 2009 12:16:19 GMT -5 by rocketeer
Post by customcruiserroy on Nov 4, 2009 16:37:21 GMT -5
This thing is looking wicked!! I even bought a 1935 mercedes kit to make mine a bit more detailed. But that's many years from now. You're keeping me way interested in this build. Looks awesome!! Keep posting! I am going crazy wanting more!