So, it's Rommel's Rod group build time! I'm gonna be building two...firstly an original issue RR, mostly restored and box stock but detailed up as nicely as I can do it as if it was a contest build maybe? All the bells and whistles, just to see how nice I can make one of these and still mostly keep to the parts in the box. The other one will be something a lot wilder and NOTHING like the box art, but I'm waiting for some parts for that one so I figured I'd get started on this first.
This is the kit I'm starting with - its MOSTLY complete and put together in such a way that it'll make a decent basis for a detailed up box-stock build of one of these. It's not all gluey and nasty and destroyed, so I was pretty happy with it. First job was to stick it in the freezer overnight last night to help split it down easier:
12 hours later, I thawed it out:
It started disassembling itself pretty quickly once I drained the water out, but there were a couple of stubborn glue spots that needed some scribing with a blade to free them up:
Not a bad basis for a build though! The bits I'm missing can be robbed from the just-reissued kit...I just need to find a good acrylic color to match the box art next...I bet Tamiya does a good one (anyone know?)
More progress once I've made some
Last Edit: Dec 9, 2018 18:01:48 GMT -5 by kabdriver
Got a little work done on the chassis last night...first up I put some new pins in to help hold the tracks in place where some of the original ones were bust. Luckily, there's a Styrene bar that fits right in there perfectly, so that wasn't too tricky of a job at least:
Whilst I was working on the chassis, I needed to do something to fix this bust-up front end:
I remade the broken pieces with some styrene bar that was a little thicker than the originals - it doesn't look too pretty right now, but it gave me some more material to work with and made the bits a little stronger, so I could live with that given it'll almost completely be hidden when this is done anyway:
We got a roller! Or whatever the half-track equivalent is anyway:
Whilst I was messing with the front end I was wondering why this kit doesnt have any brakes. I guessed maybe tanks don't have regular brakes? I'm not sure...but seeing as the front end is meant to be regular-car, I slipped some Parts Box resin discs on there and they fitted perfectly...I think I'm gonna run with them for just a little extra detail (even though, again, they'll mostly be hidden)
Next up, I need to do some work on the engine now that I found my drill bits and the rest of my tools! More soon!
I got a little more done - I've been mostly assembling furniture and new-home stuff which is slowing me down, but I made a little progress...
Stripped the chrome on the chrome parts and got them ready for Molotow-ing:
Picked up some paint! Pretty good match for the plastic on this original issue kit!
I was gonna add some detail to the engine, but I can't really think what else would improve this by much...looks pretty good as it comes! I did fill a couple of seam lines though with that white putty:
Much better (even though noone will see those bits I filled when it's done anyway...but they were bothering me...)
Whilst I was puttying, I threw a little on the front of the frame rails too where they'll be visible under the fenders just to get them nice and level too
I spent AGES trying to get all the decals off the body without scratching up the surface too much and causing myself a load more work. I figured just some warm water would get those suckers off...nope. Had to polish them off there, but with that done I can start fixing some of the stuff that needs fixing on the body. First up, was trying to salvage these lights:
The headlamps weren't TOO bad, but the mounting bar was bust, and one of the little spotlights was just a blob of glue for the most part. As I'm not building my reissued kit stock, I borrowed the lights from that
I re-drilled the mounting holes so they'd take the replacement lights:
Gotta mount the new spotlights next - but I was pleased to get a couple of hours of bench time in today anyway! More soon!
Got a little more done on this...I haven't posted a tonne of updates because who wants to see that I cleaned up a bunch of ejector pin marks and scraped away some 50 year old glue?
Anyway, so I cleaned up some ejector pin marks and scraped away some 50 year old glue:
Just using some Squadron white here to get the inside of the hood sides nice and smooth
I had to borrow one side from my new kit as the original snapped when I was trying to scribe through the glueblob to release it:
I'm using Tamiya Desert Yellow (not Dessert Yellow - that's custard) as the main color on this thing - it's pretty close to the box art color.
It looked a little too flat to me, so I hit it with some Createx Matt finish, which actually glossed it up a touch to where I was happy with it:
And I got the frame (mostly) to the point where I could spray some primer on there...actually, its Airborne Sealer acrylic, which claims to have similar properties to regular primer but without the smell so I can airbrush it indoors a little easier...
Hoping to be getting to the point where I can do some interesting stuff now, like lay down some paint for real! More soon!